For the taco meat:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 pound 94% lean ground turkey (can also use 99% lean if you desire)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce (1 cup)
- 1/4 cup water (only if making stovetop version)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 8 soft corn tortillas (or flour if you prefer)
- 3/4 cup grape tomatoes, quartered (can also use 1 large tomato, diced)
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado, diced (or sub guacamole)
- Shredded lettuce
- Sliced fresh or pickled jalapeños
1. Add olive oil to a large skillet and place over medium-high heat. Add diced onions and turkey. Brown the turkey, and break up the meat with a wooden spoon until nice and browned (about 5 minutes).
2. Transfer to the slow cooker and add in garlic, tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder, oregano, paprika, cayenne pepper, and salt. Stir to combine. Cook on high for 2-3 hours or on low for 6-7 hours.
3. Once ready to serve, divide meat between 8 corn torillas. Add optional toppings: tomatoes, cheese, diced avocado/guacamole, lettuce, and jalepeno. Serves 4. Optional to serve with Greek yogurt.
Chicken Tikka Masala
By Ambitious Kitchen
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 white or yellow onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeds removed and finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes or tomato puree (do not use tomato sauce)
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1/2 lemon, juiced (about 1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice)
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup light coconut milk (from the can)
- Additional salt, to taste
- Optional for garnish: greek yogurt & cilantro
1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add in onion, jalapeno and garlic; saute for about 5 minutes or until onions are slightly golden and translucent. Transfer to a large slow cooker.
2. Next add in tomato puree, ginger, lemon juice, garam masala, paprika, cayenne pepper, turmeric, and curry powder to the slow cooker; stir to combine.
3. Add chicken breasts and spoon sauce over the chicken to make sure they are covered. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 2-3 hours.
4. Once cooked, remove chicken with a slotted spoon and transfer to a cutting board. Shred the chicken with two forks, then transfer back to the slow cooker.
5. Stir in coconut milk and allow to cook on high UNCOVERED for 15-20 more minutes to help thicken the sauce. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary, including adding more salt, if desired.
6. Serve with brown rice, pita bread/naan or enjoy as is. Garnish with plain greek yogurt and chopped cilantro. Store any leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Honey Nut Granola
- 4-1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup sunflower kernels
- 1/3 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash of salt
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup raisins
- Yogurt (optional)
1. In a 3 or 4-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 8 ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk honey, water, oil, cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg and salt until blended; stir into oat mixture. Cook, covered, on high 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until crisp, stirring well every 20 minutes.
2. Stir in cranberries and raisins. Spread evenly onto waxed paper or baking sheets; cool completely. Store in airtight containers. If desired, serve with yogurt.
Black Bean Sweet Potato Chili
- 4 cups (1-inch) chopped sweet potato, from about 3 medium peeled sweet potatoes
- 2 (15-oz) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-oz) jar chunky salsa
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup vegetable stock (or chicken stock if not vegan/vegetarian)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, optional
- Fresh lime juice, recommended, avocado, sour cream, chopped green onion, cilantro, or chopped jalapeño.
1. Place all the ingredients in a 6-quart slow cooker, stirring to combine.
2. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours, or until the potatoes are cooked through.
3. Add fresh lime juice (if using), stirring to combine. Top with toppings, if desired, and serve.